Friday, September 7, 2012

Psyche & Eros

Psyche&Eros is one of my favorite myths, it literally translates to heart and soul. 

I am in a Biblical Interpretation & Spiritual Formation class. It's a fancy way to say the point of the class is  to discover the best way to study the Bible and commentaries, and how to work with the sanctification process. 

This week, we had a class with dual topics. Many people may think they are not intertwined, but especially after this week I beg to differ. The topics were of the heart and of the mind. 

The mind focused on how we believe what we believe, and how our actions show if we truly believe what we say we do. The heart focused on how the Bible says our hearts are in their natural state. 

Some things the Bible says about the heart: 
-It guides our lives (Proverbs 4:23) 
-It is deceitfully wicked (Jeremiah 17:19) 
-We are to trust the Lord with all of it (Proverbs 3:5-6) 

One of the most interesting things I read was by J.P. Moreland I believe, and it said loosely, "The heart controls the life, but our minds control our hearts." 

I think sometimes we get fluttered into the Disney whims of "Follow your heart." Don't get me wrong, I love my Disney, but the Bible is saying our hearts are wicked. 

What the learned men I was gleaning wisdom from were saying is Trust your heart, BUT take your mind with you.

When logos and pathos are intertwined, they become intrepid. There is a balance to everything, and logos and pathos are no different. 

Sometimes we need a new perspective; I'm mostly black and white, but I love talking to people who are more gray. I'm more logos weighted, but some people I love dearly are more pathos weighted. And we compliment each other, them giving me passion, and heart; and I giving them more reason. 


No comments:

Post a Comment