Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Chivalry


So I kinda hate Twilight. Like a lot. No offense to those who read it, it's just not my thing.

I prefer old-fashioned classics. Like Pride&Prejudice. My heart swoons at the sight of Darcy. It loathed him for about the first hour and a half of the movie, but then fell in love. And the book, phew! Oh baby! Jane Austen had it going on.

I think I'm infatuated with the culture of Jane Austen - well to an extent, everything was so classy then. Ladies curtsied, men bowed, men opened the door for women. People danced with dignity. And oh! the language in which they spoke, absolutely intoxicating with beauty.

I love comparing Darcy to Christ, because i have to look for biblical allusion in everything I do. Thanks AP English! ;) But for reals, although I never wanted to punch Jesus in the face, I see similarities. Darcy quietly, but steadily pursued Elizabeth, persistent, but open to rejection. He didn't know if she would fall into his arms or spit in his face.

Christ does the same thing for each and every one of us. Ephesians 2:8-9 speaks of this grace that abounds anything humans know. Christ quietly pursues every human being (through many different ways, tailored to each individual.) But every being has a climatic, and rather defining point in their life to decide to reject or accept what is being offered. Christ is a gentleman, always at the ready, but never uncouth.

And I for one, can be quite like Elizabeth Bennet where in different instances I push Jesus away, but always come back running to his arms realizing my error. And He never brings it up, He's content with my being with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment