Tuesday, May 4, 2010

As the Rising Sun

After seeing a few great blogs, I have decided to launch myself into the stratosphere of le blog. Another inspiration is C.S. Lewis, whose quote gave me the name of this blog. His literature has not only expanded my imagination, it has radically challenged my faith. The title of the blog comes from a quote I love dearly.

"I believe in Christianity as I believe in the rising sun. Not because I see it, but by it I see everything." It speaks magnitudes.

Like all things that are seemingly simple, they often have deeper magnitude. My English teacher talks about many things we see/hear/experience as a bowl of soup. The broth rises to the top, but the real nutrition, the chunks of chicken, the noodles, the veggies (yum!) sink to the bottom. We tend to skim "the soup" in our lives. We don't take the time or the effort to get to the bottom and eat up the deliciousness lying there waiting.

One of my favorite bible verses is Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."

The Lord gave me this bible verse when I was a young freshman. It is specifically for one aspect of my life, but at the same time has become a very treasured verse, so much so, it's painted on my closest door.

I used to see it as "Sweet! The Lord cares about me, He'll give me the desires of my heart!"
(By all means, I don't believe in 'name it and claim it', I saw it as the Lord would give me things that I wanted if they were in His will.) This aspect is true, but I was missing such a vital part of this verse that I recently stumbled on.

When I am delighting myself in the Lord, when I am completely satisfied in His prescence (Psalm 16:11), I will find the desires of my heart are for the Lord, and for what He wills. It is a beautiful symbiotic relationship between the Lord and myself in which I am blessed, and in which I can bless my Savior.

1 comment:

  1. As the rising sun (referring to that of the red sun "Japanese Flag") .... sounds rather racist to me!

    ReplyDelete