Thursday, May 13, 2010

Why?

This week a girl from my rival school passed away. She was highly allergic to peanuts, after prom she went to a party and consumed something with peanut oil. Unknowingly she had caused the catalyst to her death. She was a junior. My grade. Although I never met her, many of my friends knew her, and through the grapevine, I am affected.

A friend asked me, "Why does God allow this to happen?" This is a question I'm familiar with. Yes in my life, but also many people asking me. Many a times I've received "How can you believe in a God who allows..." "If God is loving, why does he allow..." and so on, and so forth.
A beloved Psalm came to my head while musing about how to respond to her text, Psalm 115:1-3 (ESV)

"Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to your name give glory,
for the sake of your steadfast love and your faithfulness!
Why should the nations say,
"Where is their God?"
Our God is in the heavens;
he does all that he pleases."
Why did God take the 17 year old girl? Why did God allow one of my best friend's mother to be taken while he was a young boy? Why did God allow a family's father to die? Why does God allow children to have cancer?

I don't know... But I know that my God, our God is in Heaven, and He does all he pleases. And throughout the chaos, and the pain, he uses all things to glorfiy His name of steadfast love.

And for me, that is enough to trust Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment