Monday, October 11, 2010

Cheese-Graters&Jr High


You know when you're thrown out of your comfort zone...The best analogy I can think of is a cheese grater.

Like I'm a block of cheese, Cheese a la Amanda, and when I submit my will, I get grated. It may be painful, slow and tedious, but when it's done, you're left with a scrumptious little treat.

The other night this was kinda what I did.

To understand we'll have to rewind back to Jr High.

In Jr High, I had two awesome leaders (Elyse&Lindsey) that always encouraged me, and really motivated me to become a godly woman. We were close, and I loved them to death. I remember saying when I was 14 that I wouldn't ever want to do Jr High ministry. Jr High was really awesome, but really poopy, and I would not ever go back.... Or so I thought

Fast forward to 2009. I got involved doing 5th/6th grade Children's MInistry, I led a small group as well as worship. But after a few months, something was tugging on me. Something that felt like (God forbid) Jr Highers. I told God I would serve in any other ministry. I made excuse that I didn't love Jr High kids.

God slowly but surely showed me how I needed to be in Jr High, it was a burden that grew with time, along with my love for Jr. Highers.

I am now serving in Jr High, my first event was a girl's bible study on Friday, and when I walked into it, I knew I was where I was supposed to be.

God still wanted to stretch me, I was called out to do worship. (I play a smidge of guitar, and don't sing.) But God had me do it for His glory. Even though I was shaking like a salt shaker with nervousness racking my brain to conjure up old songs I had memorized, I felt God's spirit reassuring me.

God kept telling me He wanted my Abel offering, not my Cain offering. He wanted to put me out of my comfort zone, and now I'm trusting Him, I'm excited even though it's intimidating. All in all, I'm ecstatic about this new season. And on being a block of cheese again. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment