Monday, July 5, 2010

A.mer.i.ca

Yes, I fully acknowledge the fact that this blog is a day late.


But then again, who's counting? ;)

America.

The one place you can be from and go anywhere else in the world and suddenly be a rockstar. No joke. If I want to talk to someone about Jesus, I can say I'm an American, and BOOM 96% of people flock to it like a bee to honey.

Why?

The other night I went to my local community's city fair. There was a group of old cronies playing 'Sweet Home Alabama' in shirts that looked like they'd been stitched by Besty Ross. I was walking around the park I went to my 6th grade graduation picnic was held, looking at families playing soccer, watching the Ferris Wheel going round and round as the cool Summer zephyr caressed my hair. The thought going through my head was...

'This is America.'

Well duh. I've only lived here my entire life.

But in all seriousness, when I really thought about the fact that I've had the blessing to travel. I've been to 4 continents, and have also driven from Maryland to California.

Even though I love some of the other countries I've been to, I always feel anticipation as I land in the foreign place. I don't know their laws. I have to go to an embassy to be treated by the laws I'm familiar with. I may (and usually do) have an accent.

This is not the same with America. Finding an American in a foreign country is like finding a brother. We can live thousands of miles away, yet we pledge to the same flag, we both know people in the service, we have the same history, we know Schoolhouse Rock. It's a beautiful thing.

I have the genetic make-up of Irish, German, English, and Mexican.

I do not have the DNA for an American.

No one does.

The beauty, the fascination, the obsession with America is choice.

The choice to
-serve in the military or be a pacifist.
-be Christian or an Atheist.
-live in desert or in the tundra.
-to be black or white (or like Michael Jackson-both.)
-etc.

I am not told what to wear, eat, drive, or think. Quite the juxtaposition. I am encouraged to think, to believe, to strive, to dream.

That is why I love my country.

No comments:

Post a Comment