Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Como se Llama?

"A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches, and favor is better than silver or gold." Proverbs 22:1

When I first read this, I didn't understand the context and was considering changing my name.....

I mean this is a cool verse and all, but to understand it, I had to go deeper.

I learned in a bible study that a person's name was a reflection on a person's character. In the bible study, I also learned that the name for character literally meant an etching out of the person's character. And it is a well-known saying that "character is who you are, when noone is around you." I personally learned that one from those self-motivation posters at school.

One of my favorite cross-references to this is Song of Songs 1:3
"your anointing oils are fragrant; your name is oil poured our, therefore the virgins love you."

I believe this is a literal letter of two people's love. The woman is deighting in how her beloved's name is something fragrant, something other women (presumably her friends, since they are virgins as she is) absolutely love. They delight in it over her.

I was meditating on this, and it's really cool, because these two verses alone show different seasons. Wherever we are in life, we are to have good name, a good character, good reputations, and to be fragrant of Jesus Christ. I need to work on this a lot, I'm going to dish it out and eat it too. ;) But think, what does your "name", your character say about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment