Sunday, November 21, 2010

On Measurement


Even though I'm a perfectionist, I don't like measuring things.

I was always the obnoxious kid in geometry who asked what the use of it was. When the teacher said if I ever wanted a hexagonal garden, I'd need it. I'd then make a remark of who'd ever want a hexagonal garden?

There's a great song that has lyrics saying:

"Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes
How do you measure, measure a year?

In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights
In cups of coffee
In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife."


There are things that are abstract in life, and things that are tangible.

For instance, 48 hours ago I was on a different continent. The milage was tangible, over 4,000 miles. What was abstract was my communication with me. How did I measure my trip?

I measure it with me finding a place I loved, felt safe, and visited multiple times.
I measure it with the times my dad called to make sure I was feeling better.
I measure it with the texts from my Mom saying she was praying for me.
I measure it with all the world-renowned painting I saw in person.
I measure it with the all the movies I caught up on the plane.
I measure it with the times I was lost in translations.
I measure it with the thanksgivings I had for skype.


These are all more or less abstract. What I know is I cannot measure my blessings. My blessings from God for health, ability, and traveling mercies. My blessings from my parents allowing me to go. My blessings from my friends who prayed for me, kept in touch with me, and asked me about my trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment