Monday, August 9, 2010

On Being a Fake Mexican

I consider myself to be Hispanic...
But I am a horrible Mexican.

I hate salsa.
I hate ranchero music.
I have never taken a Spanish class in my life.

Yet I still talk in Spanglish that I've picked up.
I still listen to some popular Spanish music.
I love Chicano fiction.

As a true nerd, I still have several of my favorite children's books.

One of my favorite growing up was Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan.
The story is of a wealthy farmer's daughter, Esperanza, who is spoiled and is forced through situations in her life to come to America and become a manual laborer.

Esperanza's father passes away, but before he does he pulled her out to his field. Esperanza's urging for the un-ripened fruit led her father to tell her the theme of the book,

"Augántate tantito y la fruta caerá en tu mano."

Wait a little while and the fruit will fall into your hand.

I am HORRIBLE with patience.

Many times, I don't understand why things are the way they are.

Currently, I am at a crossroads of life decisions seeking direction, and figuratively awaiting my fruit.

The bible tenderly reminds me about God that "He has made everything beautiful in its time" Ecclesiastes 3:11

And for now, I must wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment